Tuesday, December 20, 2016

A Holiday AHA Moment

           

           One of the tenets by which I live is that we never should stop learning, and especially we should not stop learning about ourselves. Self-awareness, while often an uncomfortable process, is essential to growth and to emotional well-being.

In my last post, I related how my dear friend metaphorically whacked me upside the head, and set me to thinking on a new path.  This week, while trying to decorate the house and do a bit of holiday baking, as well as making sure all the gifts for the kids, grandkids and others were on their merry way, I started thinking about the whole idea of isolation versus solitude.

                Most of you probably have had to endure at least some of my carping about “numbing isolation".  I carried that supposed cross around for quite some time.  Well guess what?  Unless I was mysteriously sentenced to prison without my knowledge, if it has been isolation that I was really feeling, I have chosen to isolate myself.  Well, Duh! Not only that, come to find out there is a great deal of difference between isolation and solitude.

                Over this past weekend, I baked cookies, made out holiday cards, and basically enjoyed myself the entire time. I felt calm, confident, and looked forward to passing out the goodies.  Wow.  I began to understand that there can be joy in solitude, that what I was experiencing was solitude as opposed to isolation.  I finally understood that if I was feeling isolated, I could pick up the phone, send an email or otherwise contact one of the many, many friends and family with which I am blessed.

                Because of this experience, combined with the “slap upside the head”, I am starting to realize that the notion of a fresh start is for real: that I can do this. I can make it happen, and so I shall.  As always, I have all you wonderful friends and family to thank for helping me through the forest of my grief and loss.  And while I know that I will still occasionally bump into one of those metaphorical trees while I am not paying attention,  for the most part, I can proceed with my life and make of it what I will.

                To all of you, I wish to a happy Hanukah, a Merry Christmas, a happy Kwanzaa, and a happy, healthy and lush New Year. 


MPC/12-19-2016

1 comment: