Tuesday, August 22, 2017

You've survived all sorts of horrible stuff, so what now?

        It's been a while since I wrote a blog post. It has been an adventure-filled several months, mostly devoted to downsizing and moving out of the 'family home', into an apartment.  As part of the process, I had over 40 cubic yards of personal possessions hauled away to be donated and/or recycled to some good use.

        So all of that craziness is over, what now? I must admit that I am struggling a bit with that. I still have my work, but these days that is pretty part time. When companies have been using your software for 30 years, they don't need much support, except when the printer stops working or Windows does one of those wonderful updates that crashes everyone's systems.

        After my beloved Susan passed away, I went through a long period of basically writing off the rest of my life. "Pacing the Cage" as so beautifully put in a song by Bruce Cockburn. I think many who are grieving the loss of a life partner go through something similar. And I must say that the current political climate and all it's theatrical excess does not do much to add to the joys of life.

        Politics and its vicissitudes aside, I have learned a thing or two that now I think I need to put to better use. I have learned the value of humility, gratitude and kindness.  We humans are wired to take note of the negative things that happen to us, but in general we notice the positive things less. We notice the red lights, but not the green ones. And it is surprising to experience what happens when we start to notice the green lights, lock them in and feel grateful for them.

        I have had people say "How is it that someone who's had so much happen to them has such a good attitude?". It's a fair question. I've lost my whole immediate family, including my beloved wife, mother, father and sibs. My heart has turned on me no less than 3 separate times. But I have also had the very best kind of true love for 20 years of this life, helped in the upbringing of 3 incredible step-kids, have wonderful friends, incredible customers, and some pretty good fortune.  I am grateful for the blessings I have had throughout this life, and looking back, would not change a thing.

        So what's next? I think the best strategy is to meet all people with a welcoming attitude, never judge people by anything other than their behavior; be grateful for something each day, be kind at every possible opportunity, and be open to what may come my way.

        Yes, I miss my sweetheart.  Yes, there are moments when it hurts, and hurts badly. But every moment of doubt and depression passes, and is ultimately replaced by a moment of something else, most often better.

        So I will keep sharing my observations with you from time to time, in the hope that something I say may be of use to someone else. All we have in life is our story and the connections we have with others.  All else is "stuff" that can be hauled away...

08-22-2017
MPC    

No comments:

Post a Comment